Hello! Enchanting Events here, and we have a BIG question for you! Have you or your fiancé thought, "We have a venue coordinator, so we won’t need a wedding coordinator?”
If so, we would like to help you! In this post, we will explain the differences between a venue coordinator and a wedding coordinator.
Before we jump in, we want to encourage our couples that venue coordinators are awesome. We as wedding coordinators love working with them! Venue coordinators are helpful and team-oriented. They assist in managing their team and venue, and they are an essential part of the wedding day.
So, what exactly does a venue coordinator do?
Venue coordinators are unique to the wedding in that their priority is the venue. Moreover, a venue coordinator/planner is hired BY the venue FOR the venue. They are there to make sure that the lights are working, the space is clean, and the venue is treated appropriately by other vendors.
What about a wedding coordinator?
In contrast, a wedding coordinator/planner is someone hired BY you and for YOU! This person is your advocate for the entire wedding day (and for most of the planning period, if you desire) and will make your vision come to life. In turn, the wedding coordinator ensures that the rest of the vendors are fulfilling their duties and that the timeline remains intact.
Now, let’s go back to venue coordinators...
We comprised a list of what a venue coordinator typically manages. These duties may differ by venue.
- He or she will open the venue on the wedding day. Most venues follow a strict schedule and only allow other vendors in at a certain time.
- The coordinator will also work as the liaison between the couple and the venue. For example, the venue coordinator is your first point of contact to see if sparkler exits/ confetti/open flame candles are allowed. The coordinator’s role is to ensure that the venue is up to the contracted standards.
- A venue coordinator will also manage the catering timeline, if catering is handled by their venue. If this is the case, the coordinator will keep the caterers aware of which tables should be served first and when clean-up should begin.
- A venue coordinator will also oversee the setup of tables and chairs, if they are provided by the venue. The venue coordinator will also use your floor plan to ensure that the tables are properly set up in preparation for the florals and décor.
- The venue coordinator will also ensure that the space is presentable. The venue coordinator oftentimes does the dirty work while things are being set up. Their knowledge of the venue and how it should look is very beneficial to their couples!
While some awesome vendor coordinators do go above and beyond for their couples, others only check in periodically. It is important to obtain information on what the venue coordinator will handle before making a decision to hire an outside wedding coordinator.
For your use, we compiled some key questions to ask your venue coordinator:
- Will you contact my vendors prior to the wedding day to confirm timing, logistics, and details? Will you ensure that everyone is on the same page?
- Will you create a timeline from the start of hair and makeup until the grand exit?
- Will you assist with the ceremony? (note: if the ceremony is off-site, it is standard for the venue coordinator to remain at the reception venue)
- Will you manage and coordinate the wedding rehearsal?
- Will you set up the wedding? Will you place the escort cards, menus, and table numbers? Will you find the perfect spot for my guest book, card box, and picture frames?
- Will you breakdown the wedding for me? Will all of my items be placed back into their respective bins and be ready for me at the end of the evening?
- Will you remain at the venue from the start of the day until the end?
- Will you keep in touch with me throughout the day to keep everything on time?
- Will you be available if something goes astray with a contracted vendor – for example, if a vendor is late, does not fulfill their contract, or cannot find his or her way to the venue?
- Will you definitely be the coordinator present on my wedding day, or could you have a replacement?
- Will you assist with queuing the DJ or band when it is time for introductions, dances, speeches, and cake-cutting?
- Will you assist with the bridal party/family’s needs throughout the day?
- Will you answer wedding-related questions throughout the entire planning process?
When you hear that your venue has a venue coordinator, even sometimes referred to as a wedding coordinator, that a great bonus! As mentioned above, venue coordinators are a vital part of the team. We encourage all couples to see if a coordinator will be there to assist them throughout the day. If they are, that is wonderful; however, please remember that their focus will be on the venue.
Similarly, we at Enchanting Events want to make sure that you are are able to enjoy every second of your wedding day, as well as the months leading up to your day. As this post has reviewed, our role differs from the role of a venue coordinator. We will check that everyone is where he or she should be, that the schedule is maintained, and that your bustle is done properly. We encourage you to think of us as additional bridesmaids who are there to help you have the best day ever – and have a plethora of wedding knowledge to share with you!
Our job is in the details, with the ultimate goal of providing you with high quality wedding services and the wedding of your dreams. When you are ready to share your wedding vision with us, or decide to inquire more about the differences between different wedding coordinators, please reach out to us! We are here for you – and so, so excited to chat about your dream wedding!