You are engaged- CONGRATS! You have a new sparkly piece of jewelry on your left hand, but where do you start? The questions will likely begin right away- when are you getting married? Where are you honeymooning? What venue did you pick? Take a deep breath, and try not to get overwhelmed. Everyone is overjoyed for you and they may not realize that you need time to simply enjoy this season of your life- it's something to be celebrated all on its own!
These eight things will help you get into the grove of wedding planning and guide you towards the next steps like choosing your colors and finding a venue.
- Tell your family and friends! this is especially important if you were with others when you got engaged. If you want to be the one to tell everyone, make sure they know that you don't plan on sharing on social media until you have shared the amazing news with those most important to you.
- Purchase Insurance. Your engagement ring will likely be one of the most special items you will have, make sure it stays that way! You can get insurance through many insurance companies, start with an insurance provider you already use (for home owners or your car) they will likely offer a discount.
- Find the perfect planner. This was on of my favorite things to do. I wanted to have a wedding binder that matched a planner to be used throughout the planning process. I ended up getting a Kate Spade planner and the Southern Weddings planning binder. Both of them were beautiful together and helped to keep things in order.
- Write down five reasons you want to marry your Fiancé. Wedding planning can get overwhelming and this is a great way to remember why you are doing it in the first place. I also found this as a guide when it came time to writing our own vows- but more on that another time!
- Set a Budget. This won't be a fun conversation- but it is one of the most important ones. If you get the money talk out of the way, all you have to do is learn to stick to it. Talk with anyone else that may be contributing your wedding and decide what amount you would like to focus on which areas.
- Think about your Guest List. You are going to want to tell everyone about your wedding, and you are supposed to! Share all of the engagement details and talk about your wedding dreams, just be careful who you have long conversations with. It's easier to avoid guest list drama if you haven't shared all of the details with a coworker that won't be invited to your wedding.
- Hire a Wedding Planner. This is so important because it will help with the entire process. Start by deciding how much assistance you want, do you need someone to help with everything, or just someone to coordinate the details you have arranged. Hiring a planner is helpful with booking other vendors as well, most of the time they will have a list of resources to fit your needs.
- Celebrate every moment! Getting engaged is amazing, and it will bring some stress involved with planning a wedding. Don't feel like you need to set a date right away, take your time to cherish the special moments with your fiancé.
Do you have any questions? Let us know!
Looking for a Wedding Planner in Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia or elsewhere? Send us an email!
photo by Chesapeake Charm Photography